Demystifying the true value of Paid Shopping Ads
Three questions we encourage prospective clients to ask about their shopping campaigns:
- How much of my shopping spend is for brand keywords?
- How much of my spend is driving incremental growth?
- What is the return on ad spend for non-brand shopping spend?
Very few can answer even one of these questions. Why? Because most other agencies group products into categories and then let Google determine the bidding strategy with smart campaigns. Smart campaigns hide your product level data, which eliminates your ability to learn, and gives Google the keys to drive your campaign for you.
Sorry, we’re just too type A to let that fly.
Instead, our Paid Shopping strategy includes:
- Single Product Ad Groups
- Brand only Shopping Campaigns
- Audience and Device Modifiers
- Merchant Center Feed Optimization
- Regular Negative Keyword Maintenance
- Collaboration with your team on keywords and product performance
Our approach is very granular, time intensive to setup, and requires careful maintenance. We do this because we believe the value is in the learning. We invest the time to learn with you. We learn about the search queries and performance associated with each of your products. We eliminate wasteful spending with the use of negative keywords, and then take our keyword learnings and apply them to your merchant center feed at the product level.
In the short term, the results may appear similar to smart bidding. But over time, the value of the learning and ongoing optimizations build on each other, making the manual approach better for your business and achieving your growth targets.